Let Your Light So Shine!
Updated: Jul 3, 2020
In our world today, we all want to see change and growth. We want our immediate surrounding to prosper, and our society at large to be transformed. We want our family, friends, and neighbours to imbibe good values and live better lives. However, there is only one sure way to cause a true revolution and transformation in our family, sphere, society and world. It is the way of being a shining light, a living epistle and a clear example for all to see. It is when people see your glow, that they will be inspired to praise God, and then to live a better life that glows too.
Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good deeds and moral excellence, and [recognize and honor and] glorify your Father who is in heaven. -Jesus- (Matthew 5:16 AMP)
Most times, we love to encourage people to do right by the use of words and advise. This is a good means. Adding to this means of speaking, is the art of leading by example. An exemplary life a very effective tool as it is known that your actions speak volumes much more than your words. A preacher once said: “Preach the gospel at all times and if necessary, use words”. This means that preaching by means of words is not the only way to communicate the message of the kingdom neither is it the only form of spreading its influence. The kingdom dominion of love, power and wisdom can be evident in our society through us and through our lives, only if we are ready to shine brightly to the extent that people will see our positive impact and glorify our Father in heaven.
"Let your life be your message".
Very often, we hope and wish people will believe in our message and be saved. We really want them to surrender to the lordship of Jesus Christ, live a life that brings glory to God and be delivered from spending eternity in hell. We may even get frustrated after a series of talking and the people seem not to repent. Well, here is the way out from the master himself. He said let your light so shine for them to see. When they see the glory of God in your life and the benefit of your light to others, they will praise the God at work in you, acknowledge His greatness and surrender to His lordship.
“That which must give light must endure burning”
So my friend, what are the truths, revelations, or wisdom nuggets that you have received from God. It is not time to merely talk about them, it is time to work hard until you see them manifest in full excellence. We must work hard on them until they reflect first in our lives. There is a saying that: “That which must give light must endure burning”. Do you want to give light to your world, then you must be willing to endure the burning of the refiner's fire.
So what light do you want to display, and want others to display as well?
- Is it kingdom love for example? Then immense yourself in God’s love for you so much to the point that you can be a mirror reflecting it to others. Also, work diligently so that you will have enough, not just to spend on your luxury, but to give to those in need as an expression of your love. Let's take another example.
- Do you want the kingdom character (as listed in the beatitudes and the fruits of the Spirit) to be seen in your life and that of others? Then develop your inner man in God and maintain a solid continuous fellowship with God.
- Do you want to walk in kingdom power? Then give yourself to fasting, prayer, purity, meditation and other spiritual exercises that will increase your spiritual sensitivity, and enable you to manifest the power of God more freely.
- Would you love to possess Kingdom wisdom? Then study and spend time in the presence of God, be observant and pay attention to God’s leading in practical affairs, which will deliver you, your people and your nation from crisis to prosperity. In these ways, you will cause a revival of praise to God, salvation of souls and restoration of the earth.
Let me end this note with a comment of Jesus Christ our Lord and eternal King. Jesus had this to say about another prophet called John the Baptist. He said: “He was a burning and a shining light…” (John 5:35). John was not just a light, sent to show the people the way of righteousness and prepare the way for the messiah, but he was a burning and shining light. This means that as a burning light, he kept working on himself, disciplining himself, engaging in spiritual exercises, maximizing his resources and opportunities daily so as to effectively shine and perform his duties. Like John, this is the only way that we too can shine brightly, impact our world, and benefit the people around us with kingdom blessings. It is through the way of diligence and hard-work, of focus and excellence, the way of burning and shining.
"Practice and work hard on these things; be absorbed in them [completely
occupied in your ministry], so that your progress will be evident to all".
- Paul to Timothy (1 Timothy 4:15 AMP) -
Beloved, do every proper thing you have to do, and in the best way possible so as to let your light shine before men in such a way that they will see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven. Through your shining, God will be glorified, people will be saved and God’s will shall be done on earth as it is in heaven. You will also enjoy a deep sense of satisfaction. Have a great life beloved, Shine!